Tuesday, January 01, 2008

Christmas in Bergen

This post is a little late, but I wanted to post some pics from our Christmas in Norway...better late than never you know! It is also going to be a little short in the description department unfortunately because I am nursing the horrid combination of an intense New Years day hangover and the flu...hmmmm...tasty combination!

So...Christmas. Unfortunately we did not get the white Christmas we had been hoping for, but we did get a traditional Bergen Christmas with rain, which was nice! The good thing about the rain was that I got to wear my big red gumboots with cream sock trims - very Mrs Claus!




The weekend before Christmas, J and I decided that we really needed a tree and some decorations to help make us feel like it was Christmas. I had bought a couple of pretty little wooden decorations when we were in Prague for my Mum to paint and decorate, but when she passed away I brought them back to Bergen with me. I coloured them in with my crayons, hung them on a dead branch with some green moss and silver ribbon and voila...a tree..of sorts!



Together with a red and green paper chain, some presents and some wonderful drawings from my beautiful nieces Charlotte and Rose, we had a real little Christmas corner happening!



We had Christmas lunch with my boss and his family and friends at his place, and that was lovely. Although, it must be said, their tree was a little more specatacular than ours! The best part of the Norwegian Christmas tradition was after lunch when the family all held hands and danced around the Christmas tree singing carols (in Norwegian of course!) It was just a lovely little bonding moment and a tradition that J and I think we would like to start in our family...although we may sing in English I think!



Because the Norwegians celebrate on the 24th, we got home around midnight and opened all our own presents at home and tried to talk to our families on skype. It was a different Christmas, and missing one very special person, but it was enjoyable nonetheless. I hope everyone else had a wonderful day and I promise to blog soon about our New Years holiday in Tromso! xxx

4 comments:

DrK said...

that is a great twig-tree. i love it. it makes me sad to think of the bitter-sweet christmas you must have had, i hope that the year ahead brings you much joy and no more sorrow. k xxx

Anonymous said...

The Twiggy Twee was the best. No needles to clean up, and if it does decide to fall over, yippee, straight into the fire stick box..Good job Bubst :)

Anonymous said...

Love the red boots -- and the compulsion for Christmas trees which I have too -- you saw the one on the blog that I took to New Caledonia....So good that you got to spend some time with the Norweigan family at Christmas and see their celebrations.
Have a Happy New Year !
Annette

Anonymous said...

cool