Saturday, June 14, 2008

Bologna

This will be just a quick blog to post some pics and tell some stories of our visit to Bologna - the medieval city that actually looks like a medieval city! Lots of crazy brickwork and towers everywhere. Beautiful, in a kind of dark way...



There was also lots of covered walkways...about 40kms worth actually! And thank god there was since once again it poured with rain for almost our entire visit!
J and I stayed in a bed and breakfast that was in a fabulous garden rooftop apartement, with a super eccentric owner and who knew the history of Bologna like the back of her hand and was more than happy to spend hours telling us about it and about how she was, well, a witch. She was very sweet, crazy, but sweet. The offer to drink her wine at any time sent J a little crazy!

One of the highlights for me was being able to visit the University of Bologna - the oldest in Europe - so old that Copernicus was a student there! Now that is old! Established in 1044...if you can believe that. Around the library are university crests from around the world, very beautiful!
Of course the real reason we were in Bologna was because of the birthday present I gave J this year - a trip to visit the Ducati factory and museum. J said that his life long dream was fulfilled that day....awww....
I actually found the factory very interesting but I think the opportunity to see, smell and sit beside Casey Stoner's world championship winning bike from last year was J's highlight...
So that was the trip to Italy! Well actually, after Bologna I went to a conference in Rovigo for a couple of days but all I saw there was the inside of a conference room. Although as it turned out, I knew a bunch of people there and actually had a really fun time! I am actually starting to feel like a part of a research community, especially when I go to an international conference and know at least half of the scholars there...some of whom are actually really great people! Surprise Surprise!

I had to blog about Bologna today because tomorrow my sister and I will take off for our three week European adventure - Paris, Rome, Sorrento, Capri and sailing the Adriatic. So can't wait! And I really can't wait to see her at the airport today and show her my home here in Bergen! So I guess this will be all for a few weeks until I return home and can tell something about all these wonderful new places we will see! xxx til then...

1 comment:

Trent said...

oh this is fantastic. hope you guys are well.