Sunday, May 17, 2009

Travelling Kit

Just a note to show off some pretty pics of my current travelling kit. Well, the one I use for short business style city trips that is...and somehow it seems like I have been doing a fair bit of that lately. Thank you Norwegian Research Council :)

This is the brown bag that I bought from the Grand Bazaar in Istanbul. I had been searching for ages for something in this style. I saw a girl on a plane once with a really old school brown leather bag from, like the 70s I guess. I fell in love with it and eyeballed it the whole flight. Of course I have been completely unable to find an original old school one, but when J and I spotted this one in the Bazaar, I knew I had found the bag I was looking for. We haggled of course, but basically I was prepared to pay a decent price to own this baby.



The laptop-carrying type bag that accompanys it is usually this one, J and I found it in a super cool second hand store in Amsterdam.
It is a Harris Tweed jacket turned into a bag, with elbowpad leather corner covers and front pocket. Cute. Couldn't resist. In a strange way, it rather comforts me in meetings with academic silverbacks to have a Harris Tweed hand bag :)


The next layer in the kit is a gorgeous little green number J convinced me to buy in Venice. I have NEVER regreted it. It folds done flat and I often stash it in the main bag. I can then drag it out for nights out or days tourist walking the streets. In that tiny green baby, I can put my camera, wallet, phone, cigarette pouch, lipgloss, map and wrap/fan. Perfect. The little grey one in the photo is my old cigarette pouch made by J's mum. Even though I generally only smoke tobacco once a day - when I get home from work, when travelling and hanging in cafes etc, I generally enjoy a smoke more often.
The final layer inside this travelling bag extravaganza is my two bathroom bags. The brown one at the back was a gift from my Dad back when I was a teenager. He had been in the US and this was a deer skin bag with native patterning. It must be one of the best gifts I ever got from my travelling Dad as a kid, I still use it daily and love it dearly. It is my general makeup holding bag, and when travelling, I store a bunch of earrings in the pocket on the side and put all my liquids, in their under 100ml containers, in the new bag in the front. It came from a funky, and slightly odd, place on Bergen habour that sells modern kitsch.
So, what do you think? Far too extensive and completely over indulgent of course, but don't you think it is pretty? xxx

2 comments:

DrK said...

they are all scrummy! the big one in particular looks like it would make a very nice knitting bag :) next time you're in downtown istanbul....

Anonymous said...

wow nice leather bag~~~what brand of this leather bag? :D