Thursday, July 23, 2009

Life - Wild

I have moved to a spectacularly beautiful landscape.


Rugged snow capped mountains shining in the midnight sun. Mountains drenched in flowers, berries and a multitude of feeding bugs. Sun reflected sparkling along the fjord. Fjord filled with fish jumping in the early evening. Fish that I can catch for dinner right from my front lawn. A seaweed covered shoreline covered in hidden mussels, crabs, sea urchins and coastal snails, all sought by fast flitting minks. Skies painted in squarking seagulls, sea eagles, ravens and ternes, crested by the occasional slow moving heron. They tell me otters reside on the other side of the fjord, and while I have not met them yet, I have watched porpoises slide on by between us. At least three kinds of jellyfish have also been seen blobbing along the water's edge. Reindeer wander the roads and stop traffic as they graze on people's lawns and pick through their gardens. They will be gone in the winter though when their Sami owners come to collect them and herd them inland. For now they are left to tend their short horned calves alone. Of course there are also people, good hearted, generous, simple-life loving people. How blessed I feel, by all of it.



I am currently reading 'The Road' and am even more grateful than ever for this abundant speldour of biodiversity with which i share my backyard.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Fern -- Just caught up with your blog again after a break for travelling --love this description, photos and reference to The Road which I just read and discussed at a book club...! I went back and read all the postings I'd missed and had a little tour of Norway with you. Thank you for that. Annette

Escaping The Winter Darkness said...

What about the fabulous roads for motorbikes, the huge mountains for snowboarding, the ease of driving through no traffic, the "burn em" attitude of the locals, ease of parking in an underground tunnel that even has a roundabout, the far less rain than Bergen aspect, the little black flies and mosquitos we missed..Ahhh yes, I really do love this little place called Tromso...And of course there is the most spectacular view of them all, and a place that if I could only buy a house there, I could maybe live there forever...Ersfjord.....

DrK said...

so amazing! cant even begin to imagine having reindeer wandering around. i guess it kinda snows a lot there too?! hope you are having a great time.

Garth said...

Ah yes so lovely now. I will check back in in 6 months time!