Thursday, April 26, 2007

Hello Arizona

I have returned from my few days in Phoenix Arizona and I have to say that I am most glad to be back in Bergen Norway. While spending a few days in the desert temps made for an enjoyable change, since I had to spend almost the entire time in an airconditioned meeting room, I unfortunately could not make the most of the change. I did however get one afternoon off and was able to stroll in the surrounds. I took these pics to give you all a sense of what it was like.


Phoenix is America's 5th largest city, apparently, and exactly how (and perhaps why) a city of this size supports itself in the desert remains a mystery to me...although the contrast was certainly interesting to see.



The contrast was made all the more fabulous by having some of the desert plants in bloom. Seeing a place that so many people consider barren and lifeless actually bursting with colour was just wonderful.

I have lots more to show and tell from my trip to Arizona but at the moment am still feeling rather jetlagged (nightmare flight details yet to come...) so I will save those stories for another day. Kisses til then....

2 comments:

Renee said...

I love the photo of the desert juxtaposed with city life... very cool indeed. I look forward to seeing more pics - I had no idea that Phoenix was that large a city! It is a very long way to go for three days... I hope you got a little bit of tourist action aside from the nanonerds.

Unknown said...

Hey there -- I fear you're going to be inundated with Leda-comments since I've neglected your site (and you) for so long! :)

I first went to Phoenix when I was five, and what I remember most is what you're photographing: cacti in BLOOM (crazy to have colour, eh!), and that wild, wild desert.

Probably worth a hiking trip in the Southwest sometime, just because it's stunning, but I can understand the aversion to masses and mobs of millions of Americans! (teehee) :)