Tuesday, July 03, 2007

Brussels

Here are some pics from my trip to Brussels. In some ways it is just another big city, an eclectic mix of ancient architecture and high rises. But as the heart of European politics there is also something more. There is a sense of self importance,...although perhaps this is just a side effect of the dominant language being french! It also has the ubiquitous fabulous churches and beautiful parks, which I can't help but photograph.















In one park was a long line of photographs as part of an art exhibition, about climate change, I think...again the french. Australia's spectacular landscape featured in some of the photos so I spent quite some time sitting on a park bench and pondering what it meant for me to be looking at photos of Oz from a park bench in Brussels.



There was also of course a totally amazing town square (the Grand Plass) where I felt totally overshadowed and overwhelmed by the history preserved in a ring of amazing buildings such as this one.



But what I enjoyed most about Brussels was the hidden and unexpected pleasures. The things that weren't in the guidebooks or on the maps and which took me by surprise. The oases at the end of alleyways. xxx

2 comments:

Renee said...

mmmm cheery flavoured beer.. sounds like my kind of thing! Buildings are fabulous - any cool bridges? I'm totally into bridges. It must be weird seeing pictures of Oz - since you are the hippie connected with nature chick - does it make you homesick? At least you got some time to play - and who wouldn't want to in a city as gorgeous as that!

Fernicle said...

Hey miss Renee! Pics of bridges coming up in the london posting...just special for you sweetheart! I got kind of homesick, especially when I saw a shot from the Whitsundays...sure miss swimming in the ocean and laying on those sandy beaches! But honestly, mostly I am still really enjoying all that Europe has to offer...can't get cherry beer at home hey! xxxx