Tuesday, November 06, 2007

Autumn in Aarhus

Okay so I have been convinced to continue! Thanks! But I have also been convinced that the blog does not have to be about other people and readers, that it has value to me as documentation of my travel and as an exercise in writing. So here goes....

J and I were fortunate enough to get a long weekend in Aarhus Denmark last weekend. I travelled there courtsey of the uni to attend a workshop on toxicological and environmental aspects of nanotechnology. Yippee. J travelled there courtsey of frequent flyer points. Double Yippee.

It was great to have J along for company in the evenings, especially as it helped me avoid spending an excessive number of hours in the company of members of the NanoEthics Network - not that they weren't nice or anything, most of them were, but after hanging with them all day at the workshop, 2 conference dinners seemed excessive! And besides, they were not exactly the people I wanted to share the hotel spa and sauna with, if you know what I mean!

The bad thing about having J with me though was of course that he got to go out and be a tourist in the city while I sat and stared out the windows of the workshop! That means that he got lots of fabulous photos of the old city part of Aarhus while I could only snap those parts of the university grounds that I got to see during a 40minute lunch break! It was such spectacular autumn weather though that I hope some of the colours make up for the lack of location diversity! The uni was in a nice area of town, about 40minutes walk from the city centre. For those of you who don't know already Aarhus is the second largest city in Denmark and a port town...but as I said, you will not be seeing photos of any of this below, just some lovely autumn pics from around the uni campus!




It is really lovely to be watching the seasons change so dramatically, and today marked an extra special moment - the first day of autumn that I left the house for work and saw snow on the mountains. So beautiful! Sadly this may also indicate the slow decline of my bicycling to work - peddling home in the dark and the snow sounds far more desirable than it actually is! Especially when you are battling the constant threat of being blown off your bike and copping the tyre wash of every passing car and truck! Hmmm...we'll see how things go. Hopefully I can post pics of my beloved Kombi bike next time. xxx

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Fern
Maybe you're not getting comments because some of us are too dumb to figure out how to submit one....I just wrote you a long "comment", but it's not showing on the blog, so I'm trying again. Leda's Mom.

Anonymous said...

Fern
That did it! So here's the previous comment that's floating in cyberspace somewhere...
Hi, I'm Annette, Leda's Mom. I, too, want to share my photos and travel experiences with friends and family who probably won't feel as compelled to respond as I do to write. I just don't "get it", as one of the things I enjoy most is hearing stories of people's experiences and seeing their photo view of places. I looked at and read your entire blog archives. I had mentioned to Leda that I might want to create a blog to share my photos and travels without endless cutting and pasting into separate emails,and she suggested I have a look at yours which she felt showed how blogging could be used effectively -- I agreed -- just the right combination of photos and text enhancing them, to get a feel of your life there. It is great to see Norway and other places in Europe and quirky bits, especially the language ones, interested me -- the no C in the dictionary and Norweigan signage. It is also good to see you whom Leda has told me about ("about whom Leda has spoken" ?? ...you'd think that I, an English teacher, should know the proper constructions....). We talked about starting a family blog that people could post to, to "catch up with" each other and what we're doing -- that way, as Leda put it, when we got together we could just "talk crap" and philosophy, literature and things, instead of dong that inevitable "catching up" whose details no one remembers anyway til the next time they see us. I loved the wooden church photo -- when we were in southern Poland, we had planned our route around seeing and photographing these little Uniate churches -- and they never failed to please. I am going to Favourite your blog so I can easily visit again. Cheers - Annette

DrK said...

yay im so glad youre still here, and i totally agree about the purpose of the blog, wi started mine when i moved to canberra partially to keep other people informed but partially at least to keep me connected outward. i know lots of people do read your blog and they love knowing what youre up to, makes us feel close to you even tho you are still so far away. and how else would we get to see the seasons change in beautiful europe?! a kombi bike?! was ist das? :)

Unknown said...

Hello there Dear Fern!
(and hi Mumma...)
Lovely to see your latest travels, as always!

Can you imagine what the photo-view of our Talking Biotech conference might have been? Belgian beers, and more Belgian beers... :) (And if I'd had a camera, maybe that one very cool sunset over Wellington Harbour when I was drinking beers with Dr.Brian, if only to document that I had in fact met him...)

Like Kylie, I'm interested to see anything that has the words 'kombi' and 'bike' in the same title... So, looking forward to your next news! :)

Biggest hugs to you four, xxx Leda

Fernicle said...

Thanks good commenters and welcome Annette! So lovely to meet you even if only virtually. Please post details of any blog you have/set up as I would love to visit! Okay, gotta work but will try and take pics of Kombi since it seems to have sparked some interest! xxx