Sunday, November 18, 2007

Words

Tell me of a sunset.
Sing me a waterfall.
Teach me the words of the wind!
My child, I'm so sorry,
I can do none of these things.

Play me the sound of a fire in full flight.
Show me the sight of stars without night.
Teach me to fly and how to grow wings!
My child, I am sure, I can do none of these things.

Show me the sound of an avalanche breaking,
Tell me the feeling of a child in the making.
Sing me the sense of sun on my skin!
My child, I know I can do none of these things.

Then teach me to laugh without making a sound.
Tell me the feeling of being wrapped in goose down.
Describe to me the smell of a rose.
My child, this would be like showing you the emperor’s new clothes.

There is only one way to know of such things.
Only one way to feel all that life brings.
You must live with both your eyes and your mind,
Opening your heart to all that you find.

You must be aware and alert and in awe,
Prepared to embrace all that life has in store.
It is a magical world we are blessed to live in.
Take your time to remember,
Breathe out and breathe in.

2 comments:

DrK said...

ooh. profound. very apt right now too. (nods head knowingly). kxx

Anonymous said...

I especially like the mixed sensory images in the first three stanzas -- illustrating metaphorically, the impossiblity of imparting these things to another person who has not experienced them. I'm still enjoying reading your blog and have been inspired to start one of my own, but just for friends and family, not on the search engines for the cyberpublic. If you'd like to see it, and see Leda and her family, ask her for the address. Annette