Tuesday, March 20, 2007

C?


So just a note on the weather before I begin the post in earnest...You will be happy to hear that the rain has cleared and that on the weekend we managed to have both snow and sunshine within hours of each other - truly fabulous. I love waking up on a Saturday morning, seeing snow cascading outside the bedroom window and knowing that I can just roll over and go back to sleep completely guilt free...mmmm lovely!

Now, I want to move on from the weather and talk about language again. This time though, I want to make an observation rather than request a translation. It seems as though the Norwegian language has almost no words that begin with the letter C. Strange but true I tell you!

As you can see from this shot, the total sum of C words does not even take up one page in a rather substantial dictionary. And if the resolution is good enough, you can see that the majority of these are actually english words anyway, words like camping, calypso, celluloid, champion and champagne. In contrast, words beginning with S take up over 70 pages! So tell me, what are some of your favourite C words (except that one peoples!) that I can use to convince the Norwegians of the value of starting words with the letter C??


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like cucumber but can't see any reason for it not being qcumber or kewcumber - c is an elegantly simple letter to look at but pretty superfluous when yu can choose from k, q or even s for the softer c.

A :)

Renee said...

I have several favourite c-words, some of which are inappropriate to print here. But others include concomitant, contrive and of course, Coca-Cola.

Anonymous said...

Hey Fern,
I love reading your musings!
Try taking extra vitamin D to keep from getting S.A.D (found in fortified milk, cheese, eggs, and salmon). An easy way to get more into your diet is with fish oil tablets.
When I lived in the UK I even went to a solarium to boost my Vit D/seritonin levels (it helped!). Regular power-naps, yoga and Goji berries are also known to help.
And most importantly think about your dogs or play with them when ever you start feeling blue- guaranteed to cheer you up.
Love to JJ. Speak to you guys on skype soon.
x jess

Fernicle said...

On the cucumber front - can you believe I had that exact conversation with my parents just before leaving Aus...strange I know but totally true!
As for Coca-cola I guess that word does not require translation in any language...a truly universal word!
Good tip on the solarium Jess, love the idea of baking in any kind of hot light, and you are right, Yoga and the dogs are great! Eating heaps of salmon and my project manager even has vitamin loaded gummi bears that he sometimes hands out to all employees! Yes, let's skype soon...