Tuesday, March 13, 2007

say what?

At work searching databases for articles relevant to my research and suddenly realised that I have fallen into a world that is both scary and close to incomprehensible. Since you were all so good with working out the Norwegian words I posted, I thought you might like a crack at translating some of these opening lines from articles relevant to my work. It sure would help me if you could work them out because I am sure as s?*t lost...and these are in english, believe it or not! So...

Article number 1: A fringe-pattern analysing interferometer with a resolution of 1 x 10(-9), stability of readings of about 0.1 nm, and an uncertainty owing to optical effects of less than 1 nm, has been used to study some systematic effects in gauge block length measurements…

Okay...Number 2: Based on the principle of measuring the property of micromechanics by means of nanoindentation, the authors clarify their views on the influence factors of type I and type 11 to measure-the property of micromechanics of materials by nanoindentation…

And number 3: The uncertainty in the measured fluorescence decay lifetimes of 30 nm particles of YAG:Ce was used to evaluate the predictions of a novel form of the Heisenberg uncertainty principle suggested by de Sabbata and Sivaram, DeltaTDeltat greater than or equal to (h) over bar /k…

Anyone? Anyone?

3 comments:

Renee said...

So, to the important stuff first.
Only one type of peanut butter!? Who lives in this country? How do they go on? And no crunchy? Tragedy my dear friend, tragedy.
And yes, the eggs are RIDICULOUSLY white. They look very fragile indeed. I hate getting shell in eggs, that does not sit well with me at all.
Re the nano... sorry I can't help you there. The science of it frightens the shit out of me. Last week I read a nano book for 'leisure' and didn't get past the preface. I sincerely hope that the scientists can explain it to me in renee language so I can write about why people should think about it twice before using it!!

Fernicle said...

Don't bet on it Dr K - scientists are not the best communicaters in languages other than science!! And yes, the peanut butter sitch is a tragedy! If anyone wants to send over some Kraft smooth over please, feel free!!

DrK said...

bueller....
i will give you some psychoanalytic theory from lacan to translate in return for this...